IELTS score indicates your proficiency in English. It is mandatory for applying to some of the top universities, multinational companies and organizations. Some of the elite educational institutions mandate an IELTS score of 7 or above.
So, how can you improve your IELTS score?
Here we are sharing some tips that would be effective in improving your English language skills.
How to Study for IELTS?
A meticulous study process is necessary for clearing IELTS with an excellent score. Make sure to follow the five points we discuss below while preparing for IELTS.
- Read More, Read As Much Possible: Reading is the best way for improving your English language as well as enhancing memory. Read books, journals, and newspapers as much as possible. Your sole aim is to improve the language. Hence, you need not differentiate between fiction and non-fiction. Read whatever interests you. Those who do not like reading should practice for the sake of IELTS at least. Try to track down important vocabularies that you may come across while reading. These vocabularies will help you in your writing and speaking as well.
- Improved Vocabulary: Although reading will help you improve vocabulary, you must put conscious efforts to boost word power. Use the right words according to the context. You must be sure about the right meaning of the word before using it anywhere. Replacing a word from the thesaurus for a common word may not be correct. For example, you will find “preclude” as the synonym for “stop”. But both are not interchangeable and should be used according to the sentence only. In the case of reading the possibility of using a synonym is nil.
- Sharpen Your Writing: Your answers to be to the point, using the right words, in the prescribed length. The answers should not be below the word count sought. The framing of the introduction, main text and conclusion should indicate your language skills. The flow of information should be consistent and the language should flow freely. Consistent writing exercises will help students to manage time and also it will enhance writing skills.
- Pronounce the Words Correctly: Those from non-English speaking countries will have a different slang influenced by their mother tongue. The accent is not considered as a criteria. however, pronunciation is. It would be more rewarding and would help you score in IELTS if you practice the pronunciation. Conveying your ideas and thoughts in the most elegant manner, in the time allocated, will get you more marks. Formal and polite English is highly appreciated in the IELTS speaking test.
- Listening is Important: Listen to English news, watch English movies and converse with people in English. Watching BBC interviews with famous personalities will help you in understanding listening much better. These all would be useful in improving your listening skills. You can only gradually improve your listening ability. Hence, you should start all the above at the earliest. Avoid reading the subtitles, while watching English movies, and try to understand the dialogues. It may be difficult in the beginning but would become easy gradually.
Tips for Improving Your IELTS Score
A determined practice and preparation are required for cracking IELTS with an excellent score. The tips for improving your IELTS score are:
- Read and understand every question carefully before answering.
- The example at the beginning of the listening segment would aid you in understanding the speakers.
- Only a comprehensive understanding of the question is enough. Do not panic even if you fail to understand the meaning of some words. Further, wasting time to understand each word will eat into the overall time available.
- A review of the example answer will aid you to understand the answers in reading the paper.
- Express your ideas in a clear and concise manner. Do not overdo it. The correct flow of thoughts is vital.
- Maintaining eye contact indicates confidence. Speak looking directly into the eyes of the examiner.
- A direct yes or no may be avoided. Give reason (s) for your answer. Learn the art of reasoning well during the IELTS preparation.
- The short pause between recordings may be used for preparing answers. Mock tests during the IELTS preparation will help you in practising this.
- Be sure about the grammar and spelling. Wrong grammar and spelling can affect your IELTS score.
- Meaningless explanations and unnecessary words should not be used just to meet the minimum word count. Such answers will affect your score.
Committed preparation is the key to scoring 7 or above in IELTS. Joining a proven IELTS coaching centre would help you prepare for the test in a systematic manner. As you can understand, a positive push and methodical preparation are of paramount importance for obtaining the best results.
IELTS is a prerequisite if your dream is to join renowned educational institutions, top companies, and organizations around the world. The qualification would reflect your English language skills.
Are you planning to study abroad? In which country do you want to pursue higher education? Do you know the admission criteria? Are you aware of the enrolment process for your dream university?
For assistance, support and guidance, contact us or call us right away.