Canada can be called the most chosen country amongst different nationalities to pursue their higher studies. Once the students complete their respective studies in Canada, they look down to find options that help them to settle back in this land of opportunities. Obtaining the PG work permit is the primary step toward getting the chance to have the scope of settling permanently in Canada. The PG work permit requires the candidate to fulfill some terms and conditions.
Those conditions are discussed throughout the entirety of this blog. Read on to find more information.
Make sure to apply before the expiration of your student visa
In order to stay in Canada, international students must possess a valid study permit. A student can apply for a PG work permit once the final marks are out. They have around 180 days to apply for the PG work permit. If the student visa expires before the final marks are out, they can move forward to do two things, either apply for visitor records till the final marks are out or can exit Canada and then apply for a PG work permit. The students can also opt to restore their study permit but this might come along with additional charges.
Who is eligible to apply for the PG work permit?
- Students who have a valid stay or study permit are eligible to apply for the PG work permit in canada. The study or the student visa is a temporary visa and comes with an expiry date.
- International students who possess a visitor card can also apply for the PG work permit.
- Students who have already applied for an extension on their existing visa before expiry but haven't received any confirmation on the same.
- Students who have applied for a change of status from study visa to visitor visa but haven’t received a confirmation on the same.
- A student who has taken up and completed a course in Designated Learning Institute (DLI). The student should have taken up a DLI course which is of at least 8 months duration and a degree certificate should be obtained for the course.
- The student should have maintained a full-time status during the course other than the final semester. The final semester permits students to do part-time jobs to start earning a living and they should also possess a permit from DLI for starting part-time jobs.
- Students who have graduated from recognized technical universities, reputed colleges, and public schools.
- Students who have graduated from private secondary schools
- Students who have graduated from schools that gave them specializations and programs with credit hours of 900.
- Canadian program degree holders whose certificates are validated by the respective provinces.
Who is not eligible for a PG work permit?
- International aspirants who have already received a PG work permit are not eligible for a new one.
- Students who have chosen English or French as their second language. English should be the first language for anyone who seeks to apply for a PG work permit.
- Students who take up general courses which do not provide a valid degree certificate are not eligible.
- Students who have participated in government-funded programs in Canada.
- Students who are part of student exchange programs between Canada and China.
- Students who possess scholarships which are not eligible for a PG work permit.
- Students with limited interaction with face-to-face mode learning had most of its classes as distance learning.
- Students who have opted to learn at a non-Canadian university in Canada.
Requirements to apply for a PG work permit in Canada
Getting a PG work permit enables the aspirants to find a temporary residence in Canada. Let us further look into the requirement for a PG work permit:
- The applicant is required to be at least 18 years old.
- The applicant must be a full-time student.
- The applicant must possess a valid course completion certificate
- An official letter from the DLI stating that the applicant has met every academic requirement expected of them. It should be included in the PG work permit application.
- The applicant must have graduated from:
- Public post-secondary institutions like technical schools, colleges, or universities.
- CEGEP (Quebec)
- Schools in Quebec gave specializations and programs with credit hours of 900.
- Canadian provincial schools that can award Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate.
If these requirements are not fulfilled by the applicants, then they have to return back to their home country within 90 days after graduation.
Special considerations for students to apply for the PG work permit
Some special cases can help you qualify for the PG work permit like:
- Non-Canadian students are eligible for a PG work permit for the duration of the course they have applied for. If the student completes a 1-year program within 8 months, they will get a PG work permit for a year.
- If the students opt for distance learning from a Canadian university which is 50% distance learning, they are also eligible for a PG work permit. The PG work permit considers both distance learning duration and full-time course duration. So, if the entire course duration is two years, then a PG work permit will also be granted for two years.
- If the students are transferred between schools, where they have taken at least an 8-month full-time course, then they are eligible for a PG work permit.
- If the student transfers from a non-DLI to a DLI, then the course time rendered in the DLI will be considered.
- If the students who study in Canadian universities have an overseas component, then only the time spent in the Canadian university will be considered for the term for a PG work permit.
- If the student has taken up flight school studies from the DLI center and also should have a Canadian pilot license.
- A formal letter from the university stating the tenure of the course, program code, and the type of course.
- Degree certificate proving the completion of the course.
- Official transcripts from the university.
Processing time for the PG work permit
The processing time for a PG work permit in Canada can take up to 80 days to 180 days. Students who have a valid stay or student permit in Canada can work till the time before obtaining a valid PG work permit. Students have around 180 days to apply for a PG work permit after their course completion.
Meeting the strict eligibility criteria for the Canadian PG work permit can be hectic and tedious. It will be easy if you have to stay updated from the start of your education program in Canada.