Canadian universities have remained one of the top choices of international students, especially those from India. The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the body that monitors and maintains the data on immigration and visa approvals. According to the statistics published by the organization, nearly 51% of the total applications for Canadian student visas have been approved in 2020.
The basic requirements for the visa application are discussed in this blog. For you to avoid unwarranted errors whilst submitting the Canadian study permit application. Our team of abroad education consultants are at your service for any kind of support, assistance or guidance.
What are the requirements for a Canadian Student Visa?
The student should have a university or designated learning institute’s acceptance, proofs that confirm the student’s identity and a financial statement affirming the availability of funds.
The documents required for a Canada student visa application are:
- Proof of Acceptance – The educational institution would forward an acceptance letter, confirming the readiness to accept the student, subsequent to enrolment. This is called proof of acceptance, which is the basic requirement for a Canadian study permit application. The visa application must accompany the acceptance letter received from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
- Identity Proof – The student must prove his or her identity by submitting the requisite documents. In cases wherein the parents are permitted to accompany them, they also should submit the subject documents. The proof of identity includes the passport or a valid travel document.
- Proof of Fund Availability – Funding is a crucial aspect for pursuing education in elite institutions in Canada. The proof of financial support from sponsors, scholarships from private and public organizations and grants can be submitted as proof of finance.
Any of the following documents may be forwarded as proof of funds:
- Banks statement for the previous six months
- Proof of education loan from the bank
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
- Confirmation letter from the sponsor if the student is planning overseas education in Canada under the sponsorship
- Documents stating scholarships or grants from organizations
- Letter of Explanation – Letter of explanation from the student explaining his or her dreams and plans. Assistance from an experienced Canadian educational consultant may be of utmost help for preparing this.
- Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) – CAQ is mandatory for those planning to study in Quebec. This allows a temporary stay for the student in Quebec. However, the student would require Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) if he or she were planning for a permanent stay in the province. The DLI or the education consultant would provide you with the directives regarding the application for CAQ.
Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Student Visa
The aspirant must fulfil the eligibility criteria for trouble-free processing of the study permit application and obtaining approval. Canada has been the trending study abroad destination for some years. Hence the number of applicants is also increasing phenomenally. Ensure that you are meeting the eligibility criteria and all the documents in this regard are submitted. Anomalies or discrepancies in the application can also lead to the rejection of the application.
The eligibility criteria for a Canadian study permit visa are:
- Enrolment at DLI
- Availability of adequate funds
- Good health conditions without any severe illness or fatal diseases. A valid medical certificate has to be produced with the relevant medical reports.
- Statement from the students that he or she will leave Canada on completion of their course/ subsequent to the authorized period of stay
Checklist Before Submitting the Application for Canadian Study Permit Application
You may go through the checklist here prior to commencing the application process. It would help prevent ambiguities and mistakes, which might cause rejection.
You will generally need the following for your Canada Student Visa application:
- Valid Passport
- Academic transcripts
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- Certificates of extracurricular achievements
- An acceptance letter from your education institution
- Proof of fee payment
- Proof of financial funds
- Study Permit and visa
- English Proficiency
How COVID-19 Affected the Canada Study Permit Application?
Moving to a culturally diverse country like Canada for studies is an excellent opportunity to enhance your skills, experience, and knowledge. Timely research and preparation can help you smoothly transition into international student life. Contact us for further discussion on the Canadian study permit. We will guide you and help you with processing the application.