New Zealand is famous for its exquisite landscapes and British-style education and is a sought-after country when students think of pursuing their education abroad. Another reason New Zealand comes easily on the list is because it is an English-speaking country. But anyone who dreams of moving to New Zealand for their higher studies would have to get the IELTS, or International English Language Testing System, certificate. The universities in New Zealand expect a minimum overall score of 6.5 to be admitted into their school. Students with an overall average of 6.0 will be admitted to undergraduate courses in New Zealand. Some courses and universities also take in students who have a 5.5 score in any of the sections tested in the exam, like reading, writing, speaking, and listening. So, even if you have a 5.5 score in either of the sections, you can still secure a spot at your dream university in New Zealand.
Let us look into how the IELTS score varies according to the courses you intend to pursue in New Zealand.
- Diploma Courses: The IELTS score expected from students by universities for diploma courses is 6.0 overall, with none of the individual band scores lower than that of 5.5. The minimum education requirement is a high school certificate.
- Bachelor's Degree or Undergraduate Studies: Any student who has successfully cleared their high school education can opt for a bachelor's degree in New Zealand. The minimum IELTS score expected is 6.0 overall, of which none of the individual section scores should be less than 5.5.
- Postgraduate Diploma: The minimum education requirement for applying for postgraduate diploma courses in New Zealand is a bachelor’s degree. The student must have an overall IELTS score of 6.5, with no individual section scores lower than 6.0.
- Graduate Diploma: To apply for the Graduate Diploma, you must have a bachelor's degree and an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with a band score of less than 5.5.
- Master’s Degree: A bachelor’s degree should be the minimum requirement, and an overall IELTS score of 6.5, of which band scores should be no less than 6.0.
Let us also take into consideration what individual universities in New Zealand expect their prospective students to bring in concerning the IELTS score:
- University of Auckland
The University of Auckland is New Zealand's largest university, with eight faculties and approximately 30,000 students. The University of Auckland expects their undergraduate students to bring in an IELTS score of 6.0 and a per-band score of not less than 5.5. This is not applicable to all courses; if the students are pursuing their higher education in engineering, then the overall score required is 7.0. The postgraduate programs offered by the university expect an average IELTS score of 6.5 with a band score of not less than 6.0.
- University of Otago
The University of Otago is the oldest university in New Zealand and is home to a structured research program. A minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall and for individual bands or sections is required for an undergraduate degree. If the undergraduate studies are in teaching and education, then the overall IELTS score will be 7.0, and the same score is expected per band. For postgraduate studies, an IELTS score of 6.5 is expected and a band score of 6.0 is required. Certain courses like dentistry, law, and public health require much higher IELTS scores to be admitted.
- Massey University
Massey University in New Zealand is the youngest university to be set up in the country. And it is the only university to have a course in aviation in New Zealand. Students are expected to achieve a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 and an individual section score of not below 5.5. And for postgraduate courses, the overall score should be around 6.5, with an individual band score of not less than 6.0.
- Auckland University of Technology
The university was set up in New Zealand in 1906 and offers a variety of courses. Undergraduate and diploma students are expected to have a minimum IELTS score of 5.5–6.0. And for postgraduate courses, the overall score should be around 6.5, with an individual band score of not less than 6.0.
Why Should You Study in New Zealand?
- The country is home to many of the most renowned universities in the world. Both the University of Auckland and the University of Otago are ranked among the world's top 300 universities by QS. The curriculum is intended to meet students' theoretical and practical educational needs.
- They have a very structured curriculum and also offer students a wide range of courses that they can choose from. Whichever course they choose, they are provided with hands-on experience that meets the world's standards for education.
- The course and tuition fees are comparatively less than what a student spends for their education in the US and the UK. The students can get extra internships and part-time jobs, which will help them meet their daily expenses.
- Anyone who pursues their education in New Zealand is bound to get a three-year post-study visa. The duration of the post-study stay can change according to the course that you are choosing.
- The pool of employment opportunities that you get in New Zealand is yet another reason why study in New Zealand is a good choice.
Why Should You Choose Edroots?
Edroots is one of Kerala's most prominent education-abroad consultancies, having placed over 13,250 students in various countries around the world. We have been striving hard to provide our clients with the most outstanding and hassle-free journey to reach their dream university and destination. With over 15 years of experience, our professionals advise and guide students at every stage of their journey. Choose us to be part of your journey to your dream!